Thursday, February 17, 2011

Snow-Dalek

I love winter. Yes there are things about it that I don't like but there is nothing like waking up in the morning to a fresh snow-fall. It can be breathtaking.

This year we have had more snow then we have had in a few years. I promised myself that before the snow was gone I would put it to good use and build a snowman. Last week I was driving home with my husband and I knew the conditions were perfect for snowman building. There was tons of snow and it was nice and packy. As we were pulling into the driving I turned to him and said "Let's build a Snowman!" Thinking that he would probably just want to go in after being in town for most of the day he surprised me when he said "Sure". Then it hit me. We need to make something much more then a snowman. "Let's make a Snow-Dalek!" I said. He replied...."Let's do it!"

What is a Dalek you might ask? Well it is an Alien from the BBC show Doctor Who. They basically want to Exterminate everything that isn't a Dalek, especially The Doctor himself. Now you might be thinking why a Dalek? Well simply because my husband and I LOVE Doctor Who. We have recently purchased all the seasons of the new show and have been doing mini marathons to get caught up. For some reason we both love the Dalek's even though they aren't very friendly. It is just so fun how they roam around yelling "EXTERMINATE.....EXTERMINATE". It just seemed like an obvious choice.

I honestly didn't know how to begin. Luckily Kevin had it all worked out. He grabbed a round trash can (clean of course) and started filling it up. Once we filled it up, he flipped it over and dumped out a nice round clump of snow. We then started adding more to give the Dalek it's basic shape.


Then we started adding the details. I made little half balls to place all around the body of the Dalek, while Kevin worked on the finer details. I was stumped on what we were going to do about the so called "limbs" of the Dalek, but again Kevin had it all figured out. He took sticks and then started covering them with snow and building it up and shaping them. How clever! After getting all the key pieces in we started cleaning it up, carving out finer details with a knife and cleaning up around the base so it really stood out. From start to finish it took us a little over 30 minutes to build out snow-dalek. We really would have liked to have more time on it but when we started we didn't have much light left so we had to rush through it. But even though it was a quick job we were both extremely pleased with how it turned out. We actually loved it so much that we are hoping to build another one before winter is over, when we have more time so we can really make it amazing. But for now this guy will do. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment